Cricketers: Bedser Twins
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1958|
|Notes / History||This picture shows the Bedser twins, Alec and Eric, who re-opened the Cricketers Pub in 1958 following its destruction by a bomb during the Blitz.
The pub was originally called 'The White Swan' but the name was changed by 1823; appropriately enough, the pub subsequently served as headquarters for the Mitcham Cricket Club. In 1875 Surrey and England bowler James Southerton became its licensee.
The Cricketers was leased by Young and Bainbridge in 1831 and bought by Young & Co. in 1881. It has since closed down.