Horizontal Windmill, Mitcham

Horizontal Windmill, Mitcham

Buy a print

Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​35-1
Original Format Drawing
Notes / History The inhabitants of Mitcham have used wind energy to grind their corn for at least two centuries. In this case, the mill mechanism was powered by horizontal, rather than vertical sails. James Moore, then Lord of the Manor of Mitcham, allowed a horizontal post mill to be built on the Commom in 1806, on condition that the villagers corn was ground on two days per week at a reasonable price. Sadly the building was damaged by lighting in the 1850's and was finally dismantled in 1905.

Related items

Comments

* Required field