Mill at Morden Hall, Morden
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||Public Relations Office, The London Hospital|
|Notes / History||The ivy-clad building on the eastern bank of the Wandle is thought to date from the 18th century. This was leased by the Polhill family from 1799 onwards. The mill just visible on the opposite (west) bank dates from c.1830. Both mills were leased to James Taddy & Co, tobacco merchants and snuff manufacturers, in 1845. Control passed to one of the company directors, Alexander Hatfield, in 1854.
Snuff production had long ceased by the time this photograph was taken and the hall was an annexe for the London Hospital. This may explain the presence of the nurse.