Wimbledon School, Edge Hill, Wimbledon

Wimbledon School, Edge Hill, Wimbledon

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c 1860
Area Wimbledon
Copyright 1 J S & Co
Picture Reference Wim_​Schools_​6-1
Original Format Sketch
Notes / History Though this sketch is entitled 'Wimbledon School,' the school's full name was the Anglican Preparatory Military Academy (known as Brackenbury's). It was founded in 1860 on what was then a meadow beneath the Ridgway, with grounds so appealing that they were opened to the public once a week, but the school was purchased by Jesuits in 1892 and reopened as Wimbledon College, a Roman Catholic School that shares a close relationship with Sacred Heart Church, also on Edge Hill.

Related items

Comments

* Required field