Wimbledon College: 19th Century Illustration

Wimbledon College: 19th Century Illustration

Prints Temporarily Unavailable

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1860
Area Wimbledon
Copyright 1 J S & Co
Picture Reference Wim_​32_​12-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Though this sketch is entitled 'Wimbledon College,' the school shown here was at this time still the Anglican Preparatory Military Academy (known as Brackenbury's). It was founded in 1860 on what was then a meadow beneath the Ridgway, with grounds so appealing that they were opened to the public once a week, but the school was purchased by Jesuits in 1892 and reopened as Wimbledon College, a Roman Catholic School that shares a close relationship with Sacred Heart Church, also on Edge Hill.

Related items

Comments

* Required field