Killick's Lane Church and schoolhouse
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||Now more familiar as St.Mark's Church, this building was constructed on land formerly owned by Edward Mizen, part of a successful market gardening dynasty. The family paid twoards its construction and local resident, Mrs.Coles, gave a further £1000.
The church was designed by Robert Masters Chart. Building work was completed in 1910 and consecrated by the Bishop of Southwark.
St.Mark's was badly damaged by a parachute mine during World War II. Restoration was completed in 1946 and a new church organ was dedicated to parishioners killed in the conflict.