Old School House

Old School House

Prints Temporarily Unavailable

Buy a print

Area Morden
Picture Reference MerMor_​20_​15-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History In 1719, the twice married Mrs Gardiner, daughter of George Garth II, died and left £300 to provide free schooling for poor children of the parish.
Land was leased from Richard Garth IV, and the school opened in 1731. It was enlarged in 1872 and an infants room added in 1889, giving a capacity of 190 children. When a new school was opened in 1910 the old school became the Parish Hall.
The plaque which commemorates Mrs Gardiner and her gift to the parish can still be seen on the side of the building.

Related items

Comments

* Required field