Old School House
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Notes / History||In 1719, the twice married Mrs Gardiner, daughter of George Garth II, died and left £300 to provide free schooling for poor children of the parish. Land was leased from Richard Garth IV, and the school opened in 1731. It was enlarged in 1872 and an infants room added in 1889, giving a capacity of 190 children. When a new school was opened in 1910 the old school became the Parish Hall. The plaque which commemorates Mrs Gardiner and her gift to the parish can still be seen on the side of the building.
A porch seen in earier photographs at the front of the building was removed c1930 at the insistence of the London County Council (LCC), who had purchased the land up to that point.