Wimbledon High School

Wimbledon High School

Buy a print

Area Wimbledon
Copyright 1 O F Stengel & Co Ltd
Picture Reference Wim_​32_​15-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Wimbledon High School opened in 1880 with a mere 12 pupils, but the numbers quickly grew. In 1917, the school was completely gutted by a fire, and pupils were set up in temporary accomodation whilst the school was being rebuilt. The school was completed in 1920, and was able to acquire additional facilities in 1923, buying the former premises of the All-England Club after they moved to their present location on Church Road. The school remains in operation to this day.

Related items

Comments

* Required field