Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||9th August 1902|
|Notes / History||Procession of decorated vehicles and fire engines crossing Upper Green, during the celebrations for the coronation of Edward VII. The corner of Killocks Lane (St Marks Road) is in the left background.
The main vehicle in this photograph is 'The Village Squirt' driven by John Brown Junior. This was a hand operated fire pump. The last time this engine was used was in 1907, attending a fire at Ashby Flour Mill. It was always brought out for carnivals and parades until the Second World War when it was dismantled for scrap.