The Pound, Wimbledon Common
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1913|
|Copyright 1||G.C. Druce|
|Notes / History||From the late medieval period, use of the Common was controlled by the Manor Court, which comprised the lord’s tenants and a steward.
One of the Court’s most important rulings, concerned grazing rights.
Each tenant farming 15 acres of manorial land was allowed to graze a limited amount of livestock on the Common.
Failure to comply with the rules regarding pasturing would incur a fine. Stray animals were corralled in the village pound and only released on receipt of a fine.