Wandle Park, Colliers Wood

Wandle Park, Colliers Wood

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Area Colliers Wood
Picture Reference Wim_​24_​8-4
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Wandle Bank House and grounds, owned from 1791-1821 by James Perry who also owned the nearby Merton Corn Mill and was editor of the Morning Chronicle, founded in 1770. Corn milling was an important industry on the Wandle from medieval times.

The land was purchased by Wimbledon Corporation for a public park and vested in the National Trust, and the park opened in 1907.

In 1910 the Mill Pond Garden was added, purchased by public subscription. Re-design of the park was undertaken through Merton Groundwork Trust and completed in 2003.

Related items


* Required field