Wandle Park House, Wandle Park, Colliers Wood
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1900|
|Notes / History||Wandle Park, which lies alongside the river Wandle, was once the site of Wandlebank House, built in 1791 by James Perry and owned by him until 1821.
Perry owned the corn mill next door and was also editor of the ‘Morning Chronicle’, the most successful London newspaper in Georgian times. Corn milling had been an important industry on the Wandle from medieval times.
Perry died in 1821 and is commemorated with a memorial at St Mary’s Parish Church, Wimbledon.
Lord Nelson is thought to have visited Wandle Park House on a number of occasions, together with Emma and Sir William Hamilton. The house was demolished in 1962.