Recreation Ground, Cottenham Park, Wimbledon
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||Merton Library Service/ Johns|
|Notes / History||Cottenham Park is named after Charles Pepys, Lord Cottenham. After the Earl’s death in 1851, the estate was sold off for housing development, although by 1893 much of the area between Cottenham Park Road and Cambridge Road still remained largely undeveloped. Development accelerated once trams began to serve the area in 1907.
The recreation ground opened in 1897 as Melbury Gardens and was the first such amenity to be provided in the locality. A map of 1920 shows the recreation ground laid out much as it is today.
Amenities include a modern pavilion, and tennis courts. There are perimeter paths and trees, including mature oaks.