Mill Pond, Wandle Park, Colliers Wood
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date
|Notes / History
|Wandle Park House and grounds was owned from 1791 until his death in 1821 by James Perry who was proprietor of the Morning Chronicle, founded in 1770.
Perry also owned the nearby Merton Corn Mill. Corn milling was an important industry on the Wandle from medieval times. The corn mill was large and to ensure a constant supply of water Perry dug out an adjoining field to form the Mill Pond and a cut leading directly to the mill.
Lord Nelson is thought to have visited Wandle Park House on a number of occasions, together with Emma and Sir William Hamilton. The house was demolished in 1962.