Wimbledon Park: Oak tree struck by lightning
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||26th July 1847|
|Notes / History||Located next to the All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon Park is one of the largest in Merton. It also has one of the biggest lakes in south London.
It is one of three parks in the borough that are included on English Heritage’s Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest.
The park was transformed in the early 18th century when the first Earl Spencer, the owner of the park and the manor house, commissioned the English landscape architect Capability Brown to landscape it. The lake was formed as a focal point for the house located to the south of the present park.