Figges Marsh looking north

Figges Marsh looking north

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1952
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Phox Studio
Picture Reference Mit_​Parks_​Open_​Spaces_​3-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Figges Marsh is a remnant of Mitcham Commonland and retains the name of William Figge, who in the 14th century held lands from the King.

Present day Carlingford Gardens and Manship Road mark the boundary between Figge’s property and the medieval Biggin Farm estate. Swain’s Farm was also near here and market gardening was carried on.

Figges Marsh is an open triangular piece of land with trees either side of the path that runs alongside London Road and during World War II it was dug for allotments.

Related items


* Required field