The Minister of Housing unveils the last prefab built on the St Helier Estate, 1954

Buy a print

Date Photo Taken 9th June 1954
Area Morden
Copyright 1 Croydon Times
Picture Reference MerMor_​Streets_​Sa_​Wa_​41-19
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Parts of the estate were severely damaged by enemy bombing during the Second World War. Flying bombs, or doodlebugs as they were known, caused particular devastation. As in other parts of the country, housing shortages and restrictions on building materials led to the construction of prefabricated buildings, in order to meet the needs of the homeless. Many were erected near Bishopsford Road and in the St Helier Open Space. “Temporary” streets included Robertbridge Green, Middleton Gardens and Tweedale Green. The prefabs were eventually demolished and replaced by new “cottages”

Related items

Comments

* Required field