Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1926|
|Copyright 1||F Wells|
|Notes / History||This is one of a series of postcards dated 1926 showing the River Wandle at Watermeads, upstream of Mitcham Bridge. This natural wetland area was one of the earliest acquisitions of the National Trust which bought it in 1913.
Situated on the Morden side of the Wandle, it was the site of a snuff mill and a paper mill built by mill owner Richard Glover in about 1800. The mills had fallen into disuse some time before the Trust purchased the land.
Watermeads was subsequently planted up with a variety of commercial and ornamental trees but in recent years the Trust’s management have concentrated on developing it as a nature reserve.