Wandle (back of Bournus House)

Wandle (back of Bournus House)

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1946
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 E. Passmore Olney
Picture Reference Mit_​Rivers_​Waterways_​1-23
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This is possibly a photograph of what is known as Fisheries Cottage upstream of Mitcham Bridge as seen from the west looking east. The area from which the photo is taken is known as the Watermeads where a number of cuts are all that remain around the spot where Glovers Snuff Mill once stood.

The cottage, formerly known as Wandle Cottage, was the home of a Mr Harry Bourne from 1895 to 1907. Although there is no record of the cottage being named after him it is possible that locals in the area knew it as ‘Bourne’s House’.

Related items

Comments

* Required field