Wandle (behind Liberty's)
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1910|
|Copyright 1||E. Passmore Olney|
|Notes / History||This stretch of water, which ran from the River Wandle behind the Liberty print works, has now been filled in.
The print works – which used coloured dyes to print designs on imported calico cloth – was built in the early eighteenth century on the site of Merton Abbey, an Augustinian priory. It produced the famous Liberty textiles from the late nineteenth century until it closed in 1972.