Wandle (behind Liberty's)

Wandle (behind Liberty's)

Buy a print

Area Colliers Wood
Copyright 1 E. Passmore Olney
Picture Reference Mit_​Rivers_​Waterways_​1-5
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This is a stretch of the River Wandle behind Liberty's calico printing works at Merton Abbey.

Built in the grounds of a former priory, Edmund Littler’s print factory began to supply Arthur Liberty's shop in Regent Street in 1875. By 1890 the entire production of the Merton works was destined for Liberty’s. In 1904 Liberty’s took over the site themselves and continued production until 1972.

The stretch of the Wandle running behind the Liberty site has now been filled in.

Related items

Comments

* Required field