Wandle (behind Liberty's)
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1910|
|Copyright 1||E. Passmore Olney|
|Notes / History||This stretch of the River Wandle, photographed circa 1910, once ran behind Liberty’s print works at Merton Abbey Mills. The print works were on the site of Merton Priory, which was an Augustinian priory dissolved by Henry VIII in 1538.
The works, which had produced Liberty prints since 1875, finally closed down in the 1970s. The stretch of water behind the site has now been filled in.