Watermeads Mill, Wandle

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1929
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 R. Stevenson
Picture Reference Mit_​Rivers_​Waterways_​2-18
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This photograph is of No 479 London Road from the east as seen from The Crown Mill in 1929.

This is one of three cottages on the bank of the Wandle upstream of Mitcham Bridge. This cottage and No 477 London Road were both built in the mid seventeenth century. No 475 London Road, which was once called Wandle Cottage and is now known as Fisheries Cottage, was built a century later.

All three cottages were occupied by mill workers until the end of the nineteenth century. They are all now Grade II listed buildings and have been substantially renovated.

Related items

Comments

* Required field