Fisheries Cottages, Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1865|
|Notes / History||The Mill Cottages at Mitcham Bridge are now more commonly referred to as the Fisheries Cottages. They are three buildings located at
475-479 London Road, Mitcham. The double-fronted house was built shortly after 1851. The other two cottages are older and recorded in the Mitcham Poor Rate Book of 1755.
The main house (officially 475 London Road) was probably built by Richard Jones, a felt manufacturer, for his own use. It is grander than the older cottages which were built for mill workers. It was also home for a few years from 1895 to Henry Bourne, bailiff of a short-lived private angling association.
The name Fisheries Cottage is thought to have been coined by an estate agent when the properties were put up for sale in the 1990s.