Merton Road, Wimbledon: Barclays Bank is shown on the left

Merton Road, Wimbledon: Barclays Bank is shown on the left

Prints Temporarily Unavailable

Buy a print

Area Wimbledon
Picture Reference Wim_​10_​4-9
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Lady Elizabeth Blount (1850-1925), wife of Sir Walter Blount, Baronet, lived at Merton Road c. 1900-1902. (Here the road is pictured during the interwar period).

The late Victorian period witnessed a growing demand for education and the freedom of women to participate in areas such as science and research.

Elizabeth's work was varied, she was not only a poet and composer but also campaigned against vivisection; edited "The Earth", a monthly science magazine, published c.1900. She was also Treasurer of the Universal Zetetic Society, dedicated to increasing knowledge through research and debate.

Related items

Comments

* Required field