Willow Lane, Mitcham. Silk and Calico Printing Mill.

Willow Lane, Mitcham. Silk and Calico Printing Mill.

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1967
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 E.P. Olney
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​34-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The Willows was built in 1746 and stood for 200 years on the north side of the Willow Lane. In the mid-1800s it was used for calico printing by a gentleman named Makepeace. Its fields extended southwards along the banks of the River Wandle as far as
Mill Green. It was taken over in the 1880s by Louise Dutriez for watercress and pig farming. The Willows remained until the 1930s before being demolished.

This photograph shows the old chimney and waterwheel remaining from when the calico printing works existed on the site. The chimney, and possibly the wheel, were removed in 1949.

Related items

Comments

* Required field