Merton High Street: River Wandle and Amery Mills

Merton High Street: River Wandle and Amery Mills

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1900
Area Merton
Picture Reference MerMor_​10_​2-13
Original Format Greetings card
Notes / History The mills were built on the site of the mills mentioned in the Domesday Book. They were part of Merton Priory and in 1534 ‘two mills in the parish of Merton’ were leased by William Moraunt. In 1693 they were owned by Ellis Crisp, a descendant of Roland Wilson. William Morris took over the site in 1881 and the works remained until the 1940s. After this the site was demolished and taken over by Messrs. Read & Co and incorporated into the Merton Board Mills.

The site is now covered by housing and a shopping centre.

Related items


* Required field