Mitcham Junction Station
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||The pedestrian bridge connecting the platforms at Mitcham Junction.
When the station first opened in 1868, as part of the line linking Peckham Rye and Sutton, the majority of the traffic was commercial freight rather than passenger trains. The northern section of line was originally assigned to the London and South Western Railway; however in 1866 the whole line was purchased by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. In 1879 the line from Mitcham to Mitcham Junction was extended when double-track was installed on the main line service from London to Horsham (via Mitcham Junction). The London and South Western Railway was then granted running powers to Lower Merton [Merton Park] for operating the Tooting, Merton & Wimbledon Railway to Streatham via Merton Abbey.