Accommodation huts and trenches, Wimbledon army camp
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1918|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||G.C Druce|
|Notes / History||During the First World War, a large expanse of Wimbledon Common was requisitioned for use as a military camp.
Accommodation huts were built and the land was a training base for the first recruits to “Kitchener’s Army”. The bayoneting grounds, firing ranges and varied terrain enabled soldiers to practice their combat skills before departing for active service.
The largest influx of troops arrived at the camp in 1916.