Air raid shelter by Beehive Bridge, Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st January 0001|
|Copyright 1||Miss P Crawford|
|Notes / History||This air raid shelter was on the grounds of The Boys’ County Public School near Beehive Bridge in Mitcham. Air-raid shelters were built for people caught out in the street during a bombing raid and a sign outside the shelter read 'This public air-raid shelter is only for the use of persons caught in the street in air-raids and not for occupiers of adjoining premises'.
The shelter was situated a short distance from where high explosive bombs fell on nearby Spencer and Grove Roads and at Commonside East, Mitcham during the Blitz (from September 7, 1940 and June 6, 1941). A total of 692 bombs fell on the borough of Merton during this period. On the night of 16th/17th April 1941 the German Luftwaffe launched a major attack on London with more than 700 aircraft. There were 15 incidents in Mitcham that night. In one, an aircraft dropped a parachute mine which hit the Tower Creameries factory on Commonside East.where a Home Guard detachment was on duty in the building. No less than 15 men, 13 of whom were members of the Home Guard, were killed that night.