London Road, Hackbridge: Gun-site huts
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||25th January 1954|
|Notes / History||This site off the Carshalton Road, to the south of Mitcham, was one of a number of sites placed strategically around London as part of the city’s defence during the second world war. This site was chosen by the War Office as the London Borough of Merton was close to Croydon Airport and therefore particularly vulnerable to enemy attack.
During the war this site housed an anti-aircraft battery with 6 guns, concrete ammunition bunkers and quarters for the gun crews. After the war ended the huts that housed the gun crews were used as living accommodation by Carshalton families. They weren’t demolished until the mid-1960s.