Notice of a meeting for Local Defence funding
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1798|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Notes / History||During the Napoleonic war fears of a French invasion led many towns and cities to create their own volunteer forces and defence fundraising started in earnest.
In Mitcham, London banker Henry Hoare started an appeal fund. At just one meeting local residents donated £301, 18 shillings and 6 pence, a vast sum at the time. Further funds were sought over the next fortnight and the Mitcham vestry established a planning committee to defend the parish from the enemy.
The Mitcham Volunteers were formed with one cavalry and one infantry corps. Villagers showed great enthusiasm for drill and weaponry training but fortunately were never called into action.