Vestry notice about a planned volunteer defence force
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1803|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Notes / History||During the Napoleonic war fears of a French invasion were widespread. Many towns and villages formed their own defensive militia.
Mitcham was no exception and in 1803 the Loyal Mitcham Volunteer Infantry Corps was founded.
168 officers and three companies of men were recruited under the command of James Moore, Lord of the Manor of Biggin and Tamworth.
The volunteers were never called into action and were stood down in 1813 as the war with France neared its end.