Distributing food parcels at Morden Hall
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st January 0001|
|Notes / History||Distribution of food parcels carried out by the Morden branch of the British Legion in WW2. The British Legion was formed on 15 May 1921 to support ex-servicemen disabled in the First World War and to help those who depended on them – the wives and children, widows, and orphans, as well as the parents who had lost sons in the war on whom they were financially dependent. During World War 11 it continued to provide assistance to the Armed Forces community, many of whom struggled to feed their families throughout the war years.
Morden Hall, where the distribution took place, was built in in the late 18th century. It was a military hospital during the First World War and later became a Women and Children's hospital. In 1941 the private estate was bequeathed to the National Trust which leased it to Merton Council. The Hall was used as council offices throughout the war.