Bombed houses in St. Mark's Church area, Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st January 0001|
|Copyright 1||Mitcham Public Library|
|Notes / History||These houses were demolished by a landmine that fell in the area of St Mark’s Church, Mitcham in September 1940. These landmines, also known as ‘parachute bombs’, were initially German naval mines dropped into the waters around Britain during November 1939. ‘The first intentional use of magnetic mines against land targets was on the night of 16 September 1940, when the mines with their charge/weight ratio of 60 - 70 % explosive caused considerable blast damage in built up areas.’ (Imperial War Museum).
St Mark’s church itself was badly damaged by the mine and a plaque in the current church records that for several years ‘it remained derelict and unfit for public worship’. The Parish Hall became the parishioners’ church until May 1946 when, after temporary repairs, the War Damage Commission accepted a tender for the restoration of the church itself.
The full restoration was completed was completed four years later and the church was rededicated by the Bishop of Southwark on December 10th 1950.