Army Camp, Wimbledon Common: First World War

Carved in Stone

Buy a print

Area Wimbledon Village
Picture Reference Wim_​17_​1-5
Original Format Photo
Notes / History In August 1915 the Wimbledon Borough Council received a letter from the War Office saying that the Borough Surveyor and his staff might be required to supervise the drainage of the proposed Military Camp on Wimbledon Common. Also with the formation of roads, gravel dug from the Common was used to create these roads.

Related items

Comments

* Required field