The Friar Tuck , British Restaurant, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1943|
|Notes / History||The Friar Tuck was one of the six British Restaurants set up in Mitcham during World War II. The murals decorating it depict the various stories connected with Robin Hood and his Merry Men. The sign was painted by Miss D. Chart in 1941.
The British Restaurants, originally called ‘Community Feeding Centres’, were run on a non-profit basis by the local authority or voluntary agencies. They were set up to combat the restrictions of rationing by providing basic meals at reasonable prices. A full three-course meal could be purchased at the British Restaurant without using up valuable ration coupons. A typical meal would be soup, a main course and a hot pudding. It would cost 4d for a child portion and between 6d to 9d for an adult.
The prices were kept low as the catering, cooking and washing up in the restaurants was done by volunteers, usually older women who were members of the Women’s Voluntary Service.