A Tank Bank outside Wimbledon Town Hall
Buy a copy
|Date Photo Taken||14th March 1918|
|Copyright 1||G C Druce|
|Notes / History||A 'Tank Bank' outside
Wimbledon Town Hall (now
Centre Court Shopping Centre).
The tank was a new addition to British military hardware - the vehicle had fought in the Battle of Cambrai in 1917. It was brought to the town centre to encourage investment in war bonds.
Fundraising was a vital part of the domestic war efffort, helping to maximise resources, purchase much needed equipment and maintain public morale. Local women were actively involved, staging jumble sales, running flag days and organising entertainment with a view to supporting wartime charities.