Merton Flour Mills, Wandle Bank
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1914|
|Copyright 1||Museum of Wimbledon|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||G.C Druce|
|Notes / History||This eighteenth century structure stands on the site of a much earlier mill and was purchased by Scottish Radical journalist, James Perry,
The building was modernised including the addition of seven pairs of mill stones and the flooding of adjacent fields to allow more water power. It was also the only local firm with a direct connection to the Surrey Iron Railway, via a short branch line.
Perry's mill was soon one of largest flour suppliers in the Capital. It remained in operation till 1905 and was later converted to leather production, becoming part of the Connolly's Leather Works.
The mill building survives but has now been converted into flats.