Bert's refreshment bar

Bert's refreshment bar

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1930
Area Merton
Copyright 1 London Borough of Merton
Picture Reference MerMor_​Industry_​A_​C_​4-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History There were a number of roadside stalls operating locally during the 1930's. They provided much needed refreshment for those working on the new roads and housing developments in the area.

This tiny wooden stall is thought to have been pitched on Morden Road, opposite the Prince of Wales pub. According to one Mitcham resident, Bert's Bar was situated on a piece of waste ground opposite ST. George's School, Phipps Bridge Road and the Albion Pub, Western Road. Both locations are possible as it was actually on wheels and could be moved as required.

Related items

Comments

* Required field