Carters Tested Seeds, Raynes Park

Carters Tested Seeds, Raynes Park

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1930
Area Raynes Park
Copyright 1 London Borough of Merton
Picture Reference MerMor_​Industry_​A_​C_​6-1
Original Format Photo
Photographer / Origin of Photo Johns
Notes / History In 1863 James Carter opened a retail outlet in High Holborn selling seeds to friends and a small circle of customers.

The success of the business, led to a nursery in Forest Hill, followed by the move to Raynes Park.
Here, Carters established a 19 acre site, including glasshouses, seed beds, testing grounds and storage warehouses. The firm became world famous, winning numerous awards for horticultural excellence.

The complex closed during the 1960s, when the trade name was sold to Cuthbert’s Seeds. In 1967 the land was sold and developed by Merton Council to form the Carters Housing Estate.

Related items

Comments

* Required field