Merton Mill, Near Wandle Park, Colliers Wood
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||28th January 1910|
|Notes / History||Corn milling has been known on this site from the 13th century. By 1779, Merton Mill was described as ‘one of the most complete mills in England’. During the 18th century, the site was inherited by James Perry, a radical journalist and edition of the ‘Morning Chronicle’.
He lived at nearby Wandle Bank House, and invested a considerable sum in modernising the mill. The efficiency of the mill was such that it was soon the largest supplier of flour in London. In 1905 it was converted to leather production and subsequently purchased by Connolly’s Limited. The building is now flats.