Phipps Bridge Road: Showing Rats Castle
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1920|
|Copyright 1||G.F. Cook|
|Original Format||Copy of postcard|
|Notes / History||North end of Phipps Bridge Road.
Old weather boarded house, located on the junction of Christchurch Road, and what was part of Phipps Bridge Road (now Liberty Avenue).
Originally used by J. Meadows for textile bleaching, it became a confectionery shop (according to Tom Francis' memory). It was named Rats Castle because of its derelict state and was demolished in 1961.