Village pump and Collbran's butchers shop, Fair Green
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||Collbran’s butchers shop can be seen in the background with the village pump in the foreground, picture left.
Clean water was a major concern during the Victorian period. Contamination of the supply due to broken pipes, sewage overflows and poor sanitation led to outbreaks of disease such as cholera and typhoid.
At the time this picture was taken, the pump was still the main source of water for many local householders. In 1898 it was replaced by Mitcham clocktower.