St. Helier Estate, Morden. Hollow wall construction
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||August 1931|
|Copyright 1||LCC Architects Dept. A8323|
|Notes / History||The estate was built in sections by C.J. Wills & Sons Ltd. Preliminary work started in 1928 and the project was completed in 1936 at a cost of £4,078,000.
Accommodation was varied and designed to meet the needs of families with young children, older residents and single occupants.
There were 901 five room houses, 1,552 four room or parlour houses, 2,963 four room (non-parlour) houses, 3,107 three room houses, 20 four room flats, 36 three room flats, 474 two room flats and 8 studio flats, plus 7 properties for estate superintendents . 25 acres were also set aside to house disabled servicemen and officers’ families.