Glovers Snuff Mill, Mitcham Bridge.
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1910|
|Notes / History||Richard Glover acquired the mill from Lionel Gregory in 1774. He started milling flour, before switching to snuff grinding and the mill finally ceased production around 1834.
During the 18th and 19th centuries, the manufacture of snuff was one of the chief local industries. The power of the River Wandle was used to turn giant millstones, for grinding tobacco into a fine powder. This was sharply inhaled through the nose causing sneezing, which cleared the head and stimulated the senses.