Gas Factory, Western Road, Mitcham

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1870
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​19-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This is a view of the Western Road Gas Works. These works were adjacent to Half-Acre Row. The buildings have now been pulled down. The site still remains and a gas holder can still be seen. The site was used for gas making until 1960 when it closed down. The discharge from the gas during its manufacture gave a distinctive and unpleasant aroma.

Related items

Comments

* Required field