Fisheries Cottages and Grove Mill, Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1910|
|Notes / History||The mill cottages are situated on a site that was once an island, created by the division of water from the River Wandle to serve Grove and Crown mills. With an address of 475-479 London Road two of the cottages have parts dated from around 1755 and the other (475) from 1851 they are Grade II listed. The cottages were occupied by mill owners, managers or mill workers and No 475 was for a while occupied by Henry Bourne, bailiff for trout fishing association. They are now all owner-occupied and more commonly known as the Fisheries Cottages. A name given to them by a local estate agent during the 1990s.
Grove mill, named after the Mitcham Grove estate, on the left of the picture is now housing. It was occupied in the 1880s by the Ashby family and when their lease expired in 1902 it brought 900 years of flour milling by Mitcham Bridge to an end.
The mill included in this picture is Morden Mill. A snuff mill it was demolished in 1922. For a long time during the 1880s it was occupied by Richard Glover and known as Gllovers Mill. It was situated where the National Trust's Watermeads centre now is.
For more information on the mills in this area see:
Mitcham Bridge, The Watermeads and the Wandle Mills by
E. N. Montague published by the Merton Historical Society.