Old Tithe Barn, Cranmer Road, Mitcham

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1927
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 F Wells
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​14-4
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Shown is the timber-framed weather-boarded tithe barn attached to the Cranmers house. The house and tithe barn were set back from the Carshalton Road. Cranmers, also known as the 'Rectory' or 'Mitcham Villa', was named after the family of that name, descended from Robert Cranmer, an East India merchant, who purchased the estate in 1656. The house and tithe barn were pulled down in 1928 to make way for a much needed local hospital, named the Wilson Hospital.

Related items

Comments

* Required field